This cake is moist and full of banana flavor. If you don’t want to use nuts or chocolate chips, this cake is just as good without them. The icing is also optional or you can simply sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- Cream Topping:
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese (half of a large 8-ounce block), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Banana Cake Batter:
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, pureed with 1/2 tsp lemon juice (1 cup banana puree)
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) banana yogurt (see note)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, cashews, or macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp milk or cream (about)
Make the Cream Topping:
In a medium mixing bowl, blend together the cream cheese and sugar with a hand mixer. Add the egg and beat until incorporated and smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
Make the Batter:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar with the butter until well-mixed. It will look crumbly. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending completely after each one. Add the vanilla extract andbananas. Mix until combined.
Add the flour mixture and yogurt to the butter mixture, a third at a time, alternating between the two until all is incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews, or macadamia nuts).
Bake about 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool completely to room temperature.
Make the Icing:
Mix milk or cream with confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding enough liquid so it can be drizzled. Scrape into a zip-top bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Snip a small corner from the bottom of the bag and drizzle the icing on top of the banana cake. Let sit at least an hour to set.
Yield: 18 to 36 servings, depending on cut size
Photo © 2006 Peggy Trowbridge, licensed to About.com, Inc.