This ketchup is a sauce that combines the sweetness of mangos and bananas with an exotic spiciness. Serve as a dipping sauce for fritters,shellfish, pork, chicken, sausage, ham, or appetizer meatballs. Cook this up in less than 30 minutes. It will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 mangos, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onions
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
Place the mangos, bananas, sweet onions, tomato paste, garlic, salt, brown sugar, molasses, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor and pulse until pureed.
Transfer puree to a saucepan. Add ground chipotle pepper, ginger, cinnamon, allspice,nutmeg, cloves, and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature to serve. Cover and refrigerate leftovers and use within two weeks.
Yield: about 2 cups
Mango Banana Ketchup Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.