These taste like banana pumpkin pie with raisins. Makes a lot, but they go fast. You may use canned pumpkin or fresh pumpkin puree. You may also make standard muffins from this batter. The muffins are almost as tasty without the glaze, if you wish to omit it.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh-grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (about 2 large bananas) mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 8 ounces (1 large block) cream cheese, divided use (see directions for Glaze below)
- 1-1/2 cups raisins, divided use (see directions)
- 1-1/4 cups white sugar
- Remaining 2 ounces cream cheese from 8 ounce block, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Soak raisins in hot water to cover for at least 15 minutes to plump them. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin papers in mini-muffin tins.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside
In a food processor, cream together the mashed banana, eggs, butter, pumpkin, 6 ounces (3/4 of the block) cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the drained raisins, and sugar.
Stir banana mixture and remaining raisins into the flour mixture by hand until combined. Do not overmix.
Fill each muffin paper to just below the top of the paper. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool completely on racks.
For the Glaze:
Cream together remaining 2 ounces of cream cheese, sugar, cream or milk, and vanilla until smooth. Pour into a zip-top bag, squeeze out the air, and seal. Cut off a tiny portion of one of the bottom corners of the bag and pipe a zig-zag design on top of each muffin with the glaze.
You can also use this batter to make standard-size muffins. Increase the baking time accordingly, 25 to 30 minutes.
Yield: about 60 mini-muffins
Pumpkin Banana Muffins Recipe Photo © 2008 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc