Apples, mushrooms, and bananas combine with curry and allspice to season this ground beef dish served over rice.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 pounds ground beef (ground chuck preferred for flavor)
- 1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
- 4 ounces chopped button mushrooms
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups (about 2 medium-size) peeled, chopped apple
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon granules
- 2 Tablespoons sweet red wine
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced or 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 4 cups hot, cooked rice
- Bacon bits or chopped peanuts for garnish, optional
Brown ground beef and onions in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring often to break up the meat. Drain and discard fat.
Add flour to the meat and cook, continuing to stir, for 1 minute. Stir in water, beef bouillon, and wine. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 8 servings